Networking and building relationships have been key to the growth of Gem PR & Media. Making time for networking is tough, I know, but it is important. I’m talking about making the best of your time, building relationships, and giving back.
So here are my top tips when it comes to networking:
- Join the committee or board of a non-profit
- Volunteer at a non-profit
- Join an association
- Join a networking group – in which you will be the only one representing your field
- Use your LinkedIn profile wisely -spend a few minutes every day updating your contacts, commenting on, sharing or posting content
- Attend open days or ribbon cuttings
- Offer yourself as a speaker
- Always make sure you have business cards on you – keep them in your car, house, or office
- Offer yourself as a commentator to various media outlets
- Hold an open house or coffee morning at your place of work
- Always follow up with someone once you’ve secured his or her business card
Make networking part of your everyday work life and I promise if you think of it this way it will become less of a burden and more of a pleasure.